YouTube for Nonprofits
by Virginia Doty, 15 May 2018
Whether you want to create an informative video, raise money for your organization, grow your audience, connect with people emotionally or simply create content while having fun, YouTube for Nonprofits offers many ways to engage with supporters. Here are some tips to help get you started.
Why YouTube for Nonprofits?
YouTube has the largest viewing audience in the world, with 1.5 billion users worldwide, each averaging over an hour of watching every day. This means that the chances of getting noticed are great!
As a nonprofit, the goal is not to become viral, but to focus on producing great content that helps you connect with your audience. Here are 5 essential ways to increase your social impact on YouTube:
- Shareability: Encourage people to pass along your videos to a network of supporters by being relatable and valuable. Make sure the content of your videos contains relevant topics. It will increase viewers’ interests in your videos and the likelihood they will share them.
- Discoverability: We all want our videos to be at the top of the search results. Try using classic content and trending topics. For example, create simple how-tos and tutorials. When popular topics increase traffic to YouTube, your video will be seen as a “related video.”
- Consistency: Post often or on a regular basis so viewers can look forward to your next videos. This will build loyal subscribers and supporters.
- Community: Speak directly to your audience and get them asking questions. Ask viewers to comment or share stories in the comments section. These comments can turn into ideas for future videos. Another way you can involve the community is by making your audience the stars of your videos. Celebrating and including your supporters will make them feel acknowledged and motivated to share with others. You can also include previous donors in your videos, explaining why they chose to support your organization. This may encourage viewers to do the same!
- Sustainability: Maintain the attention of your audience. Create shorter videos between longer videos to hold the audience’s attention while your next big piece is in progress. We want them to stick around as long as possible!
Once you’ve got all of your winning content put into a video, you’ll need to post! Before you make the video live, here are a few additional steps to take that will help reach viewers and build awareness:
- Create a title for your video that’s captivating — something that screams, “watch me!” Arrange it with keywords first and branding last. For example, our client Wounded Warrior Project created this captivating title on one of their videos: “100,000 veterans served – Wounded Warrior Project hits incredible milestone”. Notice how they started with an interesting fact and keywords first, then included their name in the second part of the title.
- Your video description should accurately reflect the message and content of your video. Highlight the mission with a tagline. Make sure to include where and how to donate in the description, a link to subscribe, and your organization’s website for more information. Also encourage viewers to share the video. However, make sure that the description is not too long — keep it short and sweet and easy to read.
- Add tags with popular keywords to increase traffic to your video.
- Include a donate button on your organization’s channel homepage, so it is seen immediately. The easier it is for people to donate, the more inclined they will feel to do so.
It's that simple! Follow the tips above, and you're sure to become a YouTube pro in no time. Remember, creating videos on a regular basis allows you to experiment with different strategies. Learn what works for your audience and have fun creating engaging and inclusive content for them. The possibilities are endless with YouTube for Nonprofits!
Want to learn more?Contact us!
Get updates; just enter your email below. Simple as that.
Why Video Scalability Should Be A Top Priority For Your Content Budget
by Michael Cruz, 28 May 2019
How to Get Your Brand to Produce More Content
by Michael Cruz, 15 May 2019
Silo Focus May Cost Brands Millions
by George Wiedemann, 13 May 2019
Personalized Video Connects You to Customers
by Rosann Bartle, 30 Apr 2019
AI Generated Content : Fast & Affordable Comes at a Cost
by Steve Steger, 18 Mar 2019
3 Lesser Known Ways to Leverage Video
by Lyndsay Hoff, 18 Mar 2019
When People Start To Get Wealthy Today, What Do They Want From Banks?
by Ben Heiser, 04 Mar 2019
Content Tells. Direct Sells.
by Rosann Bartle, 21 Feb 2019
Behind the Click: Five Cognitive Biases That Drive Action
by Michelle Gunn, PhD, 12 Feb 2019
The Real Game: Google vs. Microsoft
by Jana Ferguson, 05 Feb 2019
Did the Super Bowl Ads Live Up to the Hype?
by Steve Steger, 05 Feb 2019
Super Bowl Quick Takes
by Lesley Goldberg, 05 Feb 2019
Ten Emails I’m Glad I Didn't Have to Read Last Month
by Stephen Steger, 28 Jan 2019
The Top Three Tips to Make You King of the SERP This Black Friday and Cyber Monday
by Margaret Davis, 20 Nov 2018
Voice applications and natural language are bigger than the kitchen.
by Bryan Knouse, 29 Oct 2018
Are you ready for Amazon advertising?
by Debra Wang, 25 Oct 2018
Even Mighty Amazon Can’t Deliver on Grocery Delivery
by David Randolph, 15 Aug 2018
Google’s ready for Its face-lift
by DRUM Media, 25 Jul 2018
Why it’s important to invest in non-branded paid search
by Kelsey Chadwick, 27 Jun 2018
Why paid search should be your go-to media
by Katherine Jianas, 18 Jun 2018
Why Facebook’s Cambridge Analytica scandal makes me thrilled for the future of content marketing
by Ben Heiser, 21 May 2018
Takeaways from MarTech 2018
by Michael Cruz, Chief Content Officer, 15 May 2018
Which do your consumers prefer? Inbox or Mailbox? (Infographic)
by DRUM, 14 May 2018
Get smart with Google smart bidding
by Hailee Sosnowski, 27 Apr 2018
The amazing power of personalization
by DRUM, 19 Apr 2018
Beyond once upon a time: dialogue and the art of storytelling 2.0
by Michelle Gunn, PhD, VP/Creative Director, 17 Apr 2018
SEM 101 for Nonprofits
by Jay Reyes & Chase Bender, 12 Apr 2018
How to inspire workplace creativity
by Stephen Steger, 03 Apr 2018
Local SEO for brands and franchises: Top 3 tips from 15 SEO experts
by Greg Lee, 02 Apr 2018
Next steps for advertisers after the Cambridge Analytica Facebook breach
by Traci Hendrix, 26 Mar 2018
Are you ready for the GDPR? A guide for advertising agencies
by Jerelle Gainey and Debra Wang, 15 Mar 2018
Q&A: Experts dish on the future of paid search
by Chelsea Huston, 06 Mar 2018
Why content moments are the key to understanding content marketing
by Ben Heiser, 28 Feb 2018
Why bad advertising is a form of bad manners: lessons from a Ugandan storefront
by Scott Johnson, 20 Feb 2018
Retailers and the lower funnel trap
by David Randolph, 06 Feb 2018
What’s the body language of your content really saying?
by Zoë Courtman-Smith, 31 Jan 2018
10 things to look for in enterprise SEO software: 2018 tool review
by Greg Lee, 30 Jan 2018
The top 3 PPC marketing search engines of 2018
by Debra Wang and Vladimir Bradic, 26 Jan 2018
How new changes to Google Grant will affect your nonprofit
by Shelby Huckeba, 19 Jan 2018
Latest Giving Tuesday campaign ideas from marketing-minded nonprofits
by Adam Binkley, Jay Reyes and Ruby Wustrak, 18 Jan 2018
State of Social in 2018
by Ashley Reed, 17 Jan 2018
Top 7 posts of 2017
by Jamie Wigington, 17 Jan 2018
How should SEM experts prepare for voice search? [INFOGRAPHIC]
by DRUM, 17 Jan 2018
7 Digital trends that will change how you market in 2018
by DRUM Media, 17 Jan 2018
What advertisers need to know about Apple's intelligent tracking prevention
by Jerelle Gainey, 06 Oct 2017
Using direct mail to reactivate online customers
by Rosann Bartle, 22 Sep 2017
Bing shop ‘til you drop
by Hailee Sosnowski, 14 Aug 2017
Finding a web design process that works
by Todd Chambers, 02 Aug 2017
3 Commandments for creating incredibly engaging content
by Ben Heiser, 02 Aug 2017
Twitter ads and targeting techniques that work
by Annie Green, 27 Jul 2017
5 benefits of paid social advertising
by Karina Khemani, 14 Jul 2017
Oh snap! Snapchat just upped their ad game
by Traci Hendrix, 12 Jul 2017
Dying is easy, comedy is hard
by Scott Johnson, 10 Jul 2017
Marketing and the meteor test
by Scott Johnson, 05 Jul 2017
The value of local SEO (Even when your customers aren't)
by Gregory Lee, 23 Jun 2017
The best Facebook ad types and targeting options for driving sales
by Annie Green, 15 Jun 2017
Linking online marketing to offline consumer behavior
by Heather Roach, 08 Jun 2017
To push a nonprofit's mission, you have to push with passion
by Nicole Bendel, 05 Jun 2017
7 ways B2B marketers can find success in social media
by Traci Hendrix, 31 May 2017
Google’s data-driven attribution: what you need to know
by Kimberly Honore, 23 May 2017
The skinny on Yahoo's native search retargeting feature
by Shelby Huckeba, 15 May 2017
Why you should always include brand search in your digital strategy
by Katherine Jianas, 04 May 2017
How to use content marketing to finally unify marketing strategies
by Gregory Lee, 16 Apr 2017
5 things we learned at Google’s “Search in 2017 & Beyond” event
by Kimberly Honore, 05 Apr 2017
To sell to the ego, you gotta talk to the id.
by Zoe Courtman-Smith, 04 Apr 2017
Social listening inspires smarter business strategies
by Alicia Trahan, 03 Apr 2017
Brand safety: how programmatic partners protect our clients' brands
by Brittany Altman, 31 Mar 2017
How inactive subscribers can affect deliverability
by Billy McNair, 27 Mar 2017
5 reasons to insist on 1st party data for CRM targeting
by Samantha Halpin, 22 Mar 2017
Conversation, not content, is king
by Scott Johnson, 15 Mar 2017